Hawai'i Arts Alliance received a generous gift of $110,000 to enhance arts education opportunities within the Hawai'i State Department of Education. The bulk of the gift is to focus on the Performing Arts Learning Centers (PALC). These centers provide performance skills to 1,000 students per year, and countless others who are exposed to the arts as audience members.
This momentous gift was also intended to challenge other donors to raise the level of support for the arts. Each Center must raise matching donations to the initial $5,000 to receive a second grant installment.
We want to congratulate the schools who have achieved their matches and report that the other centers are working hard and are very close!
The recipient High School Performing Arts Learning Centers are located on Oahu, Maui, Hawai'i Island, and Kauai:
· Baldwin High School Performing Arts Learning Center (made its match)
· Castle Performing Arts Center (made its match)
· Hilo High School Performing Arts Learning Center
· Kaimuki High School Performing Arts Center (made its match)
· Kauai Performing Arts Learning Center (made its match)
· Central Theatre Arts Academy (Mililani)
· Nanakuli High and Intermediate Performing Arts Center (made its match)
· Alliance for Drama Education's T-Shirt Theatre at Farrington High School
· Performing Arts Center of Kapolei (made its match)
The first donations were used to pay for spring productions, scholarships for students, rental costs, and other education needs. Without these funds, many of the programs would not have occurred due to across the board cuts in operating budgets this last year. The Performing Arts Learning Centers service over 5000 kids across the state and are still in need of support to teach 21st century skills to these kids.
Please contact Hawai'i Arts Alliance at 533-2787, or visit http://www.hawaiiartsalliance.org/index.php/site/donate for more information on how you can help to keep arts in the schools.
You can also contact your neighborhood PALC to learn more about their programs and upcoming schedule of performances!
For more information about the Nanakui High and Intermediate Performing Arts Center, which accepts students from various schools, including home schools, contact:
Robin Kitsu - 668-5823