This is a clean up project in our neck of the woods & it's another aspect
of caring for our neighborhood...
We are asking for volunteers to participate in another worthy cause
for our community...
If you are interested please follow the instructions below...
If you have any questions regarding this matter please feel free to call me...
Thank you all for all that you do...
Officer H. Sam Scanlan
Honolulu Police Department
District 8, Community Policing Team
Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010
Meet at various locations:
* Ulehawa Drainage Channel or Princess Kahanu Estates
* Maili Sea Country
* Kaopuni Stream
1. Create awareness of non-point source pollution and water quality issues.
2. Provide information on protecting our waters to specific audiences; visit the City's clean water website at www.cleanwaterhonolulu.com or call me at 768-3248 for school presentations, adopt-a-stream/adopt-a-block cleanups on Oahu, adopt-a-stream train the trainer workshop, Earth Month Expo at the Waikiki Aquarium in April, Ewa Clean Water Day in May, Watershed Field Days/World Water Monitoring, Make A Difference Month, Good Neighbor Awards, Earth Month Teen Video Contest.
3. Encourage partnerships between concerned citizens and local government
4. Motivate positive behavior change to keep streams healthy
What volunteers need to know:
1. All volunteers must sign a release form at http://www.cleanwaterhonolulu.com/storm/hero/Adopt%20-%20Release.pdf. Bring release form to cleanup.
2. Dress to get dirty. Wear covered shoes, hat. Bring sunscreen and water.
3. Adopt-A-Stream/Adopt-A-Block trash bag pick up coordinated with City crews.
4. Supplies provided by the City and County of Honolulu Adopt-A-Stream/Adopt-A-Block Program.
Volunteer action items: (50 volunteers, minimum)
1. 1 group of 15 to help remove litter from City easement areas adjacent to Ulehawa Drainage Channel
2. 1 group of 5 to help stencil storm drains in Princess Kahanu
3. 2 group of 5 (10) to help stencil storm drains in Sea Country, Maili
4. 1 group of 15 to help remove litter and graffiti in and around Kaopuni Stream, across from the Boys and Girls Club
5. 1 group of 5 to help remove litter in and around Kaopuni Stream at Haleahi and complete visual survey of stream
6. Report storm water illicit discharges to 768-32467, potential flood problem to 768-7890, sidewalk maintenance/vacant lot overgrowth to 768-8280, bulky item issues to 768-3407.
City and County of Honolulu
Storm Water Community Relations Specialist
(808) 768-3248, (808) 497-4766 (cellular)