YOUR REPLY IS APPRECIATED!
We had an awesome meeting on Nov 30! Mahalo nui loa to everyone who stayed the extra hour! See the attached meeting notes by clicking HERE.
We prioritized the various environmental issues and decided to combine and take action on the following issues:
· Illegal dumping in and near streams
· Inactive landfills – inadequate maintenance has resulted in degradation of cover and subsequent erosion of soils.
· Non-point source pollution into streams and ocean
· Overdevelopment –decide how they want to incorporate this issue into the overall issue for action.
To complete the process, I need your input on two items. You can email your input or call Jolyn at 864-9260 or Pake at 258-7253.
1. Decide on a framework for action. This is what we have so far, but it needs to be refined
a. The Waianae Coast has seen the degradation of the `āina and wai resulting from development. By focusing on these issues for action, it is the desire of the advisory committee to stop the degradation and restore the `āina and wai.
b. Key words - Restore, mālama, preserve, perpetuate?
2. Determine what aspect of overdevelopment (maybe the term incompatible development is appropriate?) to tie into the issue for action.
Leslie Kahihikolo, Project Director
Pacific American Foundation