Aloha Community Partners,
We are now on the search for a new Education Resource Specialist whose main responsibility will be to coordinate and run our college internship program which provides 30-40 Waiʻanae youth (17-24) with farm work, full-college tuition scholarships to Leeward Community College and $500-$600 monthly stipends: see www.maoorganicfarms.org. This is a position for someone who is rooted/connected with the Waiʻanae Coast (or any native Hawaiian community), passionate about transformative education, and deeply interested in working closely with young adults (and their ʻohana) in counselor/trainer/mentor/friend/coach roles. We are only accepting applications during a short window of time so please help us spread the word to your networks quickly! See below for the job description and general information
Position Title: Education Resource Specialist
Start Date: January 4, 2010
Salary Range: $38,000-$41,600
Responsibilities: direct recruitment into our College Internship (Youth Leadership Training Program) and provide the tracking and support necessary for our college interns to succeed in meeting work and academic internship demands through intensive case management.
How to Apply: send resume via e-mail (.pdf preferred) to Summer Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes Due: December 14. Call Summer at 696-5569, 721-6592 if have questions.
Director of Education
MA ‘O COMMUNITY FOOD SECURITY INITIATIVE
a non-profit ‘aina-based project of the Wai‘anae Community Re-Development Corporation
P.O. Box 441, Wai‘anae, Hawai‘i 96792
Office Tel/Fax. 808-696-5569
POSITION AVAILABLE: EDUCATION RESOURCE SPECIALIST
(posted December 7th, 2009)
Overview Since 2001, MA.O has run intermediate, high school and young-adult leadership programs thatfocus on building transformative educational experiences based on Hawaiian cultural values (ea, ho`omalu, kako`o, `ohana, kuleana), work with the `aina, higher education and public advocacy regarding community food security.
Recognizing the need to expand our staff to meet the multiple challenges our community is faced with when it comes to higher education, MA`O has created an Educational Resource Specialist position to help oversee the articulation gap betweenHigh School and College. This person will help direct recruitment into our College Internship (Youth Leadership Training Program) and provide the tracking and support necessary for ourcollege interns to succeed in the program through intensive case management.
Duties will also include strategic planning and leadership roles in projects, events and activities in the 7th grade to college educational pipeline.
Responsibilities Ability to work unsupervised, at maximum efficiency levels to:
• Recruit youth from the Wai.anae coast ages 17-24 into the YLT program each school year
• Provide training, counseling, guidance and mentorship to interns to meet both farm work and
• Develop and nurture relationships with public and private high schools, organizations thatwork with youth, and Leeward Community College
• Work collaboratively with MA`O staff and school partners, and community stakeholders to evaluate and refine YLT program's effectiveness and 7th-college pipeline
• Support the mission, goals and activities of WCRC and MA.O wherever possible.
Desired We are looking for a person with leadership potential: a person who is willing to be trained.
Qualities are able to self-evaluate, assess programs, put plans into action, solve problems, network and whohas 100% commitment, dedication and perseverance to build on the foundation created inbuilding a 7th grade through College pipeline.
Minimum Minimum requirements include:
• Bachelors degree
• At least 1-to 2-year work experience counseling and directing at-risk young adults
• Ability to establish rapport with at-risk young adults and their families
• Understanding of the Wai.anae Coast
Other experiences that may be beneficial include:
• Counseling and facilitation experience
• Experience working on a farm or of growing food
• Exposure to leadership situations, ability to manage people and solve conflicts peacefully.
• Experience working collaboratively on special projects
Resident of the Wai‘anae community preferred. Passion for food
Compensation This is a salaried position with the possibility of significant career advancement. Salary in the firstyear will be $38,500-$44,500 per year depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits willinclude health care and annual vacation.
How to Apply E-mail resume (.pdf preferred) to email@example.com ATTN: Education ResourcePosition. Resumes due: December 14, 2009. Position start date: January 4, 2010. Site: MA‘O
Organic Farms (Wai.anae). We will call you to schedule an interview. Call Summer Miles at 6965569
or 721-6592 if you have any questions.