Our next Ka Wai Ola O Waianae Moku advisory committee meeting is next MONDAY, Nov 30 from 6:30-8:30 pm. We will meet at the Waianae Satellite City Hall multipurpose room.
Debbie Liang (EPA project officer) and Herb Lee (Pacific American Foundation executive director) will be joining us for our meeting. Come early at 6 pm for pupus and to talk story with Debbie and Herb.
Pake and Jolyn, Ka Wai Ola community liaisons, will be calling you this week to encourage and confirm your attendance.
The focus of our advisory committee meeting is two-fold.
1. Prioritize environmental issues for action. To determine which issue the advisory committee will focus future action on, we will evaluate these issues based on whether any other organization is addressing the issue, feasibility of the community addressing the issue, and costs associated with action.
· Illegal dumping in and near streams
· Impaired water bodies/Ag & urban storm water runoff
· Mercury in fish
· Damage to coral resulting from storm water runoff
· Active/Inactive landfills
· Outdoor air quality
· Erosion resulting from fires and aggregate mining
2. Brainstorm actions to address the issue of priority. Once the advisory committee prioritizes the environmental issue, we will spend time brainstorming ideas on the who, what, where, when and how of actions to reduce its impacts on human health and the environment and encourage community involvement. So come with your ideas!
A Hui Hou
Leslie Kahihikolo, Project Director
Pacific American Foundation